Trading has resumed at the popular Mile 12 market Ketu, Lagos, barely hours after a deadly inferno engulfed the market in the early hours of Friday.
Sympathetic sellers and buyers were seen returning to the market for their daily commercial activities.
The fire claimed lives of three persons in the market and also affected shops and offices. According to an eyewitness, the fire which also burnt the office of the National Union of Road Transport Workers, NURTW, was started by petrol.
The witness, who spoke in pidgin English, said the inferno occurred after one of the PMS stored in polythene bags burst. “Na people wey dey carry fuel for inside nylon cause am,” he said.
“Dem no know say person dey cook for back so the fuel fall for ground and the whole place catch fire.”
Several market women and men were heard also linking the incident to petrol stored in polythene sack.
However, Adeoye Olayiwola the area commander of the Surulere Fire Service Station, said the fire was put out at around 8:20 am on Friday but could not state the cause of the fire.
Responders at the scene included two fire trucks belonging to the Lagos State Fire Service, a water tank belonging to Julius Berger, and an old fire truck belonging to the Federal Fire Service.
Kenneth Nwosu, spokesperson of the Lagos State Police is yet to comment on the unfortunate incident.Follow Us on Social Media