The family of billionaire businessman and Chairman of Ocean Marines Solution, OML, Idahosa Wells Okunbo, has debunked the rumour of his death which had set the social media abuzz shortly after the new year celebration. The family, in a statement on Tuesday, described the rumoured death of the retired commercial pilot fondly called Captain Hosa, as “malicious” and originated “from the pit of hell”. Okunbo had been receiving medical attention in the United Kingdom since October last year. But the family in their reaction to the “wicked” rumour, affirmed that he is “well, hale and hearty”.
According to a statement signed by Dr. Tinyan Okunbo on behalf of the Okunbo family, “Our attention has been drawn to the malicious and malevolent rumour making the rounds that our son, brother, father, grandfather, and benefactor has gone to be with the Lord. We hereby rebuke this rumour that originated from the pit of hell, and hereby state unequivocally, that Capt. Idahosa Wells Okunbo is well, hale and hearty.
“Our brother, son and father will surely live beyond the rumour and God will judge those who delight in peddling fatal wishes on the innocent. We take solace in the fact that similar rumours in the past have been said of great men who had always proved the evil intentions of these wicked hearts wrong, and invariably lived beyond their expectations.
“For instance, Nigerians have not forgotten the case of Nnamdi Azikiwe from whose case, we now draw inspiration that our brother, son, grandfather and benefactor will live to the fullness of his age and beyond in the mighty name of our Lord Jesus Christ. Amen. He is already testifying to the glory of God in his life and only God, and God alone, will take the glory in Jesus mighty name. Amen and Amen”.
Recall that the same rumour merchants had, following Okunbo’s travel to the UK last year, shortly after the September 19, 2020 governorship election in Edo State which his favoured candidate lost, gone to town with the story that he was rushed abroad in a coma as a result of the outcome of the fiercely contested poll. Reacting to the rumour then by political opponents, sometime in October last year, Okunbo had admitted that he had health challenges. He however chided the peddlers of the rumour for “only mocking and playing God”.
In his personally signed statement, the business mogul and philanthropist said “My attention has been drawn to a rash of social media posts concerning my health and the inhuman manner in which it is being orchestrated to look as if it was as a result of the outcome of the September 19, 2020 Edo State governorship election, in which I publicly supported Pastor Osagie Ize-Iyamu.
“It is evidently ungodly for people to gloat over the fact that I am not feeling well. God does not approve of such disposition and those who engage in that pastime are only mocking and playing God. I have never claimed to be a super human being. I do not deny the fact that I am not well. I am outside the country for my medicals, which were delayed because of the lockdown occasioned by the COVID-19 pandemic. After a series of tests, my doctors confirmed that I have some health issues. It is, therefore, ill-advised and inhuman for those who are not comfortable with the position I took in the Edo State’s governorship election to joyfully circulate in the social media that I have health issues and that I have slid into coma. Well, I leave them all to God”.
According to Okunbo, “I am over 60 years. I thank God who gave me the gift of life, an opportunity to live a good life, the grace to build a legacy of achievements and, most importantly, a good name, which is better than silver and gold”.