Menu
in

50,000 Migrants Storm Spanish Border From Morocco in 48 Hours as Deadly Ceuta Crisis Leaves Dozens Dead

At least 57 people reportedly died as Spain rushed troops and police to Ceuta, with nearly all of the estimated 50,000 migrants returning to Morocco within two days.

Follow
( 0 Followers )
X

Follow

E-mail : *

A humanitarian and security crisis unfolded in the Spanish enclave of Ceuta after an estimated 50,000 migrants crossed from Morocco within 48 hours, overwhelming the small North African territory in one of the largest mass border crossings ever recorded in Europe.

The unprecedented influx, which began on Thursday and continued into Friday, saw thousands of mostly Moroccan migrants enter Ceuta by climbing border fences, forcing openings in security barriers, or swimming around coastal breakwaters using life jackets, inflatable devices, wetsuits and flippers.

Spanish authorities said approximately 50,000 migrants entered the enclave, while local officials estimated the figure could be as high as 60,000—equivalent to nearly three-quarters of Ceuta’s population of about 84,000 residents.

The chaotic border surge turned deadly, with Spanish officials confirming that at least 57 people lost their lives. Most of the victims reportedly drowned while attempting the sea crossing or were crushed during overcrowding at the border fence and breakwater. Authorities said additional fatalities may have occurred on the Moroccan side, while several bodies were recovered in Spanish territory.

The dramatic scenes, widely shared across social media, reportedly encouraged more people to attempt the crossing, rapidly escalating the situation.

In response, Spain deployed army units, additional Civil Guard officers and specialized police forces to reinforce security around Ceuta. Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez described the mass crossing as a violation of the country’s sovereignty and ordered authorities to accelerate the return of migrants who entered illegally.

According to Spain’s Interior Ministry, by 6 p.m. on Friday, around 48,300 of the approximately 50,000 migrants had already returned to Morocco. Officials said many chose to leave voluntarily after discovering there was little food, shelter or opportunity to remain in Ceuta.

The crisis was reportedly fueled by widespread misinformation surrounding a Spanish Supreme Court ruling issued on June 29. The judgment stated that migrants intercepted while swimming into Ceuta or Melilla could not be immediately pushed back without due process because they had not crossed through the official land-border infrastructure.

Spanish authorities accused human-trafficking networks of distorting the court’s decision online, falsely suggesting that migrants arriving by sea would automatically be allowed to stay in Spain.

Beyond misinformation, analysts pointed to worsening economic conditions and high youth unemployment in Morocco as major drivers behind the mass movement. Some migrants also claimed Moroccan border personnel made little effort to stop the crowds, with reports suggesting some security officers appeared unusually permissive during the crossings.

Observers noted that the scale of the movement would have been difficult without at least a temporary relaxation of border controls on the Moroccan side. Morocco continues to dispute Spain’s sovereignty over both Ceuta and the nearby enclave of Melilla.

The latest incident far surpasses the 2021 Ceuta migration crisis, when between 8,000 and 12,000 migrants crossed into the enclave over two days during a diplomatic dispute between Spain and Morocco.

Following the latest surge, Spanish authorities announced plans to strengthen maritime border protections by installing additional sea markers while accelerating repatriation procedures.

The incident has reignited political debate across Europe over migration policy, border security and the persistent pressure facing the European Union’s only land borders with Africa.

Follow Us on Social Media

Author

Written by Shola Akinyele